PostgreSQL through the eyes of an Oracle DBA
- Could you briefly introduce yourself?
I’m Karen Jex, a senior database consultant with EnterpriseDB. As the title of my talk suggests, my background is working with Oracle; I was an Oracle DBA for 20 years before discovering PostgreSQL a few years ago.
I live in a small village in the French Alps with my husband and two daughters and I love cycling.
- Have you enjoyed previous pgDay Paris or other PostgreSQL Europe conferences, either as attendee or as speaker?
- This is my first time speaking at a PostgreSQL Europe conference. I enjoyed PGConf.EU in Milan and PGDay France in Lyon last year and am looking forward to attending many more.
- What will your talk be about, exactly? Why this topic?
- This is the story of my journey into the world of PostgreSQL. I wanted to share some of the many things that I learnt (and am still learning) during my “conversion” from Oracle to PostgreSQL.
- What is the audience for your talk?
- I hope that it will be interesting to anyone who works with PostgreSQL.
- What existing knowledge should the attendee have in order to follow your talk?
- No existing knowledge is needed — it should be accessible to everyone.
- Which missing feature would you most like to see in PostgreSQL?
- Global indexes on partitioned tables.
- Thank you!